History of the Library

Founded in 1888 as "Prussian Historical Station", today’s German Historical Institute in Rome moved premises frequently and has hosted a great number of scholars. The books, the basis of all scientific work, have been preserved in the course of these changes and bear witness to the wide variety of historical research interests. The creation, in 1960, of the History of Music Section led to the establishment of a Musical Library that, up until its merger with the Historical Library in 2017, was completely independent.